Pipes and fittings are essential components of any plumbing, heating or cooling system. Malleable cast iron pipe fittings are durable, corrosion resistant, and economical – making them a popular choice for both commercial and residential applications.
Malleable cast iron pipe fittings offer a unique blend of durability, affordability and corrosion resistance. They are often as used in places where a combination of pressure, mechanical and chemical stresses must be endured.
What Are Malleable Cast Iron Pipe Fittings?
Malleable cast iron fittings are made from molten iron that is cooled slowly, giving the metal a fine grain structure and making it relatively soft and ductile. This allows the fittings to be bent or formed into various shapes without becoming brittle or cracking.
Malleable cast iron pipe fittings have several main benefits:
- Durability – The material is strong and can withstand high pressures, mechanical vibrations and torsion stresses.
- Corrosion Resistance – Malleable cast iron resists corrosion from water, chemicals and other aggressive liquids better than regular cast iron due to its higher graphite content.
- Economical – Malleable cast iron fittings are typically more affordable than brass or stainless steel options.
- Wide Range of Types – Elbows, tees, couplings reducers, caps, unions and more are available in malleable cast iron.
- Threaded Connections – Most fittings come with male NPT threads, providing an easy and reliable connection method.
- Reusability – Malleable cast iron fittings can be bent back into shape and reused multiple times if needed.
Common Types of Malleable Cast Iron Fittings
The most basic malleable cast iron fittings include:
- Elbows – China pipe fittings elbow malleable cast iron allow pipes to change direction. Available in degrees from 22.5 to 175.
•Tees – Used to branch pipes in perpendicular directions. Straight and reducing tees are both available.
•Couplings – Join two pipe ends together. Offer flexibility in alignment and come with swivel or stationary sleeves.
•Reducing Bushings – Transition between pipes of different sizes. Often used at plumbing fixtures.
•Caps and Plugs – Seal open ends of pipes during installation or as permanent closures.
•Unions – Fittings with slip-together or screwed ends for easy disconnection and reconnection of pipes.
Malleable cast iron fittings are manufactured in either a black (uncoated) or galvanized steel finish:
- Black Malleable Fittings – Unsuitable for buried applications but ideal for drain-waste-vent systems due to lower cost.
•Galvanized Fittings – Have a zinc coating that protects against corrosion, making them suitable for water distribution and outdoor uses.