Black pipe, also known as black steel pipe, is a type of pipe made from carbon steel that has a black surface coating. This coating is applied through a process called blackening, which involves the application of a protective layer of black iron oxide. Black steel pipe fittings are also commonly used in various applications, including plumbing, gas distribution, and heating systems. In this post, we will discuss everything you need to know about black pipe and black steel pipe fittings.
Black Pipe for Water Line
Black pipe is commonly used for water lines in residential and commercial buildings. It is an affordable and durable option that can handle high pressure and temperatures. Black pipe for water line is typically made from carbon steel and is coated with a layer of black iron oxide to protect it from corrosion. However, it is worth noting that black pipe is not suitable for use with drinking water as it may contain impurities that can be harmful to health.
Black Steel Pipe Fittings
Black steel pipe fittings are commonly used to connect black pipes in various applications. These fittings come in a wide range of configurations, including elbows, tees, couplings, and nipples. They are typically made from carbon steel and have a black surface coating to provide protection against corrosion. Black steel pipe fittings are commonly used in gas distribution systems, heating systems, and plumbing.
Benefits of Black Pipe & Black Steel Pipe Fittings
Black pipe and fittings are manufactured from high-strength carbon steel, offering several advantages for plumbing and industrial applications:
- Black pipe and fittings are created from wear-resistant carbon steel that withstands impact and abrasion, making them long-lasting.
- Black pipe and fittings are more cost-effective compared to alternatives like copper or galvanized steel pipe. The low material cost makes them a budget-friendly choice for many projects.
- Black fittings feature a phosphate coating and oil finish that shields the steel from corrosion due to moisture, chemicals, and other environmental factors. This coating protects the material for years.
- Black pipe comes in a vast array of diameters and pressures classes to satisfy the demands of various systems. Fittings are available to connect pipes of different sizes.
Drawbacks Of Black Pipe and Black Steel Pipe Fittings
- Not Suitable for Drinking Water:
As mentioned earlier, black pipe is not suitable for use with drinking water due to the risk of impurities.
- Limited Versatility:
Black pipe and black steel pipe fittings come in limited sizes and configurations, which may limit their versatility in certain applications.